...
When I look at the fact that some people think that changing “women” to “womyn” or “waiter” to “waitron” will help prevent inequality, it baffles me. Don’t get me wrong— I do believe that we all should work together as a society to end these issues but placing limits on our language is definitely not an effective solution. Some words are inherently racist, I understand, but I feel like the root of inequality in terms of language is because we decide to abuse it, not because it is wrong in its nature.
Our language was first created to communicate with others and to express ourselves. It’s a platform that we use to relay our ideas and to connect. We’re able to control it freely to our liking and this freedom wasn’t a given; it was fought for. I think when people claim that certain words shouldn’t be used because they could possibly offend someone, it’s being taken to the extreme. There will inevitably be people who will use language to hurt and offend others but as a result of this, our reaction shouldn’t be to limit the offender’s resources such as eliminating certain words; we should change the mindset of the people themselves so that such intentions no longer exist. I think the restrictions that we set for language could do more harm for the innocent than the guilty. People who have no intentions whatsoever of discriminating anyone could use a potentially offensive term and be labeled as racist or sexist, simply because the term was used, regardless of the context. It’s great that we are making efforts to strive for a better, more equal world but I don’t think regulating our language will successfully guide us to that goal.
Song of the week:
I think we all think about this in our heads "imagine if...". Imagine if there was no need for political correctness because there was no inequality... Imagine if I didn't have so much homework that I still have to do... hope you enjoy :)
Hey Esther! I definitely agree that policing words isn't the best solution to preventing inequalities. Changing mindsets is the best option so that the connotations of the words themselves change. Instead of being used to harm, there meaning changes all together. Great post!
ReplyDelete