Definition of a Drive Thru

Whenever I think of the word “drive thru”, a variety of fast food places pop into my head, but never in a million years would I have thought that there was such thing as a drive thru wedding. Drive thru’s are great for numerous reasons. First, it’s just convenient. If I’m craving some junk food but I don’t feel like looking presentable in public, I can just roll up to the drive thru and get my food without having to be embarrassed. Second, it’s less intimate. I don’t have to make eye contact with the employee when ordering (I just speak to a machine) and the employee only sees a very limited view of my car.  The list goes on and on, but this is only talking about a drive thru in the context of getting fast food; what if we were talking about this idea and applying it to a wedding? The whole idea shifts. Wedding drive thru's share some similarity in purpose for their convenience, spontaneity, sincerity, etc. As Didion describes it, the “wishing wells”, “stained-glass paper windows”, and “artificial bouvardia” strive to offer “the facsimile of proper ritual” in the chapels, but we know that this only showcases the extreme superficiality of the idea of drive thru weddings along with the people who condone it. Whenever I use the drive thru instead of eating inside the restaurant, I don’t usually say that I’ve actually been to the restaurant. I just say “Oh, I went through the drive thru”. I don’t know why, but I feel like using the drive thru is like the rip-off version of dining in. (not saying that drive thru’s are bad; it’s just that you haven’t really experienced it fully) Have I physically been to that place? Yes, but I feel like you just can’t classify going through the drive thru the same as eating inside the actual building. If we were to put this in the context of a wedding, is a drive thru wedding the same as a traditional one? Yes, by the law you are rightfully pronounced husband and wife, but in terms of personal experience, can you say that you got married without having to mention that it was a drive thru as well?


Personally, I say no.


The song of the week:






The 1975 - Sincerity Is Scary // https://youtu.be/1K93ioXL63c






The wedding industry advertises its services as the most "sincere and dignified" and like the title of the song, this "sincerity" could lead to scary consequences like hastily making life decisions without thinking of the consequences. Give it a listen and let me know what you think :)

Comments

  1. Esther, I love this post (especially the song)! I can totally relate to going through the drive-thru especially for my own convenience. Sometimes, my food takes even longer than if I had went inside, but I still prefer the drive-thru because of the minimal amount of interaction that takes place. As for applying this to weddings, I completely agree with your main point. A drive thru wedding just doesn't seem as "real" as a traditional one. Regardless of how big or small a wedding is, a drive thru one just seems to reduce the ceremony to "the most convenient option".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment